top of page

Common Questions

  • Why isn't my 110 to 220 Adapter not working?
    If you purchased an adapter with two standard 5-15P plugs that combine to create a 220 volt receptacle such as 14-50P or 10-30R and you are having troubles follow these steps to troubleshoot. Ensure that your appliance doesn't require more than 30 Amps, if your appliance is drawing to much current it will trip a breaker. Be sure that you are choosing outlets that are feed from different bus bars back on at the panel, you can use a product like this Circuit Breaker Detective to find out which outlets on which breaker. Try to use outlets that are NOT on GFCI protected circuits, more often than not this will trip the GFCI. If you are using this adapter to power a portable EV charger be sure to set 24 amps. See the infographic below for more tips. Please call us at 520-884-8880 with any additional questions.
  • I bought an Adapter and was told it is not grounded? Can I still use it?
    Before 1996, most home electrical circuits lacked an equipment ground. Even though new constructions require one, there are still millions of old homes in the country without an equipment ground due to outdated wiring. Although it is not entirely accurate to say that these circuits are ungrounded, you can bond them with a neutral wire that connects to the ground at your home's electrical panel. This creates a system ground. For example, the NEMA 10-30R 30 Amp Dryer receptacle and the 50 Amp NEMA 10-50R Range/Stove receptacle are 220 Volt receptacles that are system grounded and popularly used. They have three wires, two hot wires and a neutral wire that are bonded to the ground. If your electrical appliance comes with a cord that has either of these plugs, then it is not equipment grounded. Our company can add a grounded wire to any adapter that we sell. However, in some cases, it may not be necessary or practical. If you have any further questions, feel free to call us at 520-884-8880.
  • How do I select the appropriate extension cord length for using a portable generator to provide temporary or emergency power.
    If you're utilizing a portable generator for emergency power, be sure to use an extension cord that is at minimum 20 feet long. In most situations this distance will ensure that the open frame generator is kept safely away from your home. However depending on the environment you may need an even longer cable, choose a cord that is long enough to position the generator away from any windows or doors, thereby preventing harmful carbon monoxide from entering your home as well as any other near by buildings. Additionally you will want to point the exhaust down wind and away from windows and doors. No not run a generator inside.
bottom of page